Town and parish elections in the Cumberland Council area

On 4 May 2023, there are due to be town and parish council elections held in the Cumberland Council area.

The new Cumberland Council will run these elections once it takes over council services from 1 April 2023.

Until this date, any queries and questions should be directed to the elections teams at your local borough council - so either Allerdale, Carlisle or Copeland council. 

Standing for election

If you wish to stand for election, contact the teams at  Allerdale, Carlisle or Copeland council for a nomination pack.

Registering to vote

It is easy to register to vote:

  • Go to the electoral registration website 

  • Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details. You'll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on your national insurance card, or in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits

  • Look out for a confirmation to say you are registered.

There is more information on the Your Vote Matters website  .

If you are unable to register to vote, contact your local elections team at either Allerdale, Carlisle or Copeland council..

Voter ID

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections. This new requirement will apply for the first time in England at the local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023.

Remember before you can vote, or apply for a Voter Authority Certificate, you must be on the Electoral Register. If you are not on this already, or need to amend your details as you recently moved house, then register now. You can do it online, or by contacting your local electoral registration team. 

Which forms of ID can I use to vote?

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable.  You can use any of the following:

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (including provisional license)
  • Blue badge
  • Certain concessionary travel cards
  • Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • Biometric Immigration document
  • Defence identity card
  • Certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit the  electoral commission website or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t have an accepted form photo ID

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for this at government website .

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send this to our electoral services team at your local district council - so either Allerdale, Carlisle or Copeland council.