Universal Credit

If you are on a low income or out of work, you may be eligible for Universal Credit.

How it works

Universal Credit is a monthly payment and is replacing the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

If you want to make a new claim for benefits, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit instead.

If you are already receiving one or more of these benefits 

Your local Jobcentre Plus or Tax Credits office will be letting you know when you will be moving onto Universal Credit.

How to claim Universal Credit

To make a claim, you will need to apply for Universal Credit on the GOV.UK website.

Make a claim on GOV.UK

If you do not have access to the internet, you can get help making your claim from Citizens Advice.

Get help with your Universal Credit application on the Citizen Advice website

If your benefits do not cover your full rent

A Discretionary Housing payment can be made to help make up any shortfall in the amount of housing costs included in your Universal Credit and your rent, help towards moving costs, or deposits required to move to more suitable accommodation, that may be more affordable to you.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments

If you have a query, contact the Benefit Team