Council Tax appeals

How to appeal a council tax bill.

You may appeal if you think you are not liable to pay council tax - for example, if you are not the resident owner, or because the property is exempt. You may also appeal if you believe we made a mistake when working out the amount you should pay. This relates to discounts and reductions under the disability reduction scheme and council tax support scheme.

If you want to appeal on these grounds, you must first contact your local area and state the reasons for your appeal.

We have a duty to respond to you within two months. We will inform you of the steps we have taken to deal with your appeal. If you are not satisfied, you may appeal to the Council Tax - valuation tribunal service within two months of our decision. If we fail to respond to your original appeal, you may appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal within four months of your original appeal to the council.

Check another post code

Why you're going to a different website

As a new council we are in the process of adding information to this website. To give you the information you need some pages will link back to the old council websites.

About the council changes