Council Tax bands

Council Tax bands determine how much Council Tax you pay.

How it works

Most dwellings are subject to Council Tax, unless you own a property that is exempt from paying.

There is one bill per dwelling (self-contained accommodation) whether it is owned or rented, and whether it is a:

  • house
  • bungalow
  • flat
  • maisonette
  • mobile home or houseboat

To work out the Council Tax due on a property you will need to find out the Council Tax band and the annual charges for the parish the property is in.

Your Council Tax bill also states which band applies to your dwelling.

Check a property’s Council Tax band on GOV.UK

How the bands are worked out

Each property is allocated one of eight bands according to its market value on 1 April 1991.

Valuation band Range of property value (at 1 April 1991)
A Up to and including £40,000
B £40,001 to £52,000
C £52,001 to £68,000
D £68,001 to £88,000
E £88,001 to £120,000
F £120,001 to £160,00
G £160,001 to £320,000
H More than £320,001

Extending or improving your home

If you extend your home, or make other improvements, it will affect your banding when you sell your property or transfer the lease. This is for a period or seven years or more. Or there is a revaluation of all properties.

For details of when your Council Tax band might change read the GOV.UK website

Appeal your Council Tax band

When you receive a letter from the Valuation Office Agency telling you about the change to your banding. You have six months in which you can appeal.

Appeal your Council Tax band on GOV.UK

Contact the Council Tax team