The new Cumberland Council has held its first official meeting, making some key decisions on its future leadership.
On 1 April 2023 the new unitary authority took responsibility for all council services previously provided by Allerdale Borough Council, Carlisle City Council, Copeland Borough Council and Cumbria County Council.
Prior to this date a shadow authority was responsible for taking the decisions that were needed to set the new council up.
The first ever chair of the new council is Cllr Carni McCarron-Holmes and the vice chair Cllr Abdul Harid.
At its meeting in Carlisle on 13 April 2023, councillors also elected Cllr Mark Fryer as the Leader of Cumberland Council. He will be responsible for the Leader’s portfolio which includes the strategic direction of the council, economic development, and external relationships. Cllr Lisa Brown was appointed as Statutory Deputy Leader of the council with the Governance and Thriving Communities Portfolio, with Cllr Emma Williamson appointed as Deputy Leader with the Children’s and Family Support portfolio.
Other Executive members and their portfolios are:
- Cllr Elaine Lynch with the Lifelong Learning and Development portfolio
- Cllr Martin Harris with the Adult and Community Health portfolio
- Cllr Denise Rollo with the Sustainable, Resilient and Connected Place portfolio
- Cllr Barbara Cannon with the Financial Planning and Assets portfolio
- Cllr Chris Southward with the Digital Connectivity and Customer Focus portfolio
- Cllr Bob Kelly with the Cumberland Policy and Regulatory Services portfolio
- Cllr Anne Quilter with the Vibrant and Healthy Places portfolio
Councillors also agreed who would be the chair and vice-chair for the various committees on the council. These include:
- Cllr Anne Glendinning was appointed as Chair of the Planning Committee, with Cllr Roger Dobson Vice Chair
- Cllr Mike Hawkins was appointed as Chair of the Regulatory and Licensing Committee, with Cllr Geoff Mitchell as Vice Chair
- Cllr Markus Campbell-Savours was appointed as Chair of the Audit Committee, with Cllr David Moore as Vice Chair
- Cllr Gillian Troughton was appointed as Chair of the Standards and Governance Committee, with Cllr Tim Pickstone as Vice Chair.
In other appointments Cllr Lucy Patrick was elected as the Chair of the Business and Resources Overview and Scrutiny Committee, with Cllr David Moore as Vice Chair. The Chair of the Health Overview and Scrutiny Committee is Cllr Carni McCarron-Holmes with Cllr Helen Davison as Vice Chair.
Cllr Chris Willis was appointed as Chair of the People Overview and Scrutiny Committee, with Cllr Jeanette Whalen as Vice Chair; and Cllr Tony Markley was appointed as Chair of the Place Overview and Scrutiny Committee, with Cllr Helen Tucker the Vice Chair.
Councillors also adopted amendments to the council’s Constitution, which outlines the governance arrangements for the new authority. This was originally agreed at the Shadow Authority meeting of 26 January 2023 with any further amendments delegated to the Monitoring Officer. Councillors agreed these amendments this week, as well as the Scheme of Delegation.
Other appointments agreed at the meeting include:
- Cllr Mike Hawkins was appointed Chair of the Regulatory Committee with Cllr Geoff Mitchell as Vice Chair.
- Cllr Joseph Ghayouba was appointed Chair of the LEP Overview and Scrutiny Committee, with Cllr Jill Perry as Vice Chair.
- Cllr Jimmy Grisdale was appointed Chair of the Harbour Committee, with Cllr Denise Rollo as Vice Chair.