Listening to Locals: Safer, Smarter Phase 2 Works Begin Near Ashness Bridge

stock image of Derwentater

Cumberland Council is informing residents, businesses and visitors that Phase 2 of the essential slope repair works on the B5289 near Ashness Bridge, Keswick is set to begin shortly.

These works are required to stabilise the road and improve long‑term safety for all users. Phase 2 will begin on Monday 23 February and is expected to take approximately ten days to complete, from 7.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday, subject to weather and site conditions. 

Given the progress the council has been able to make in Phase 1, plans for Phase 2 have been changed to minimise disruption for local residents, businesses and road users. This phase will now be managed under temporary traffic lights, rather than under nighttime road closure as previously advertised, allowing traffic to continue using the B5289. The contractor will use smaller machinery to work from both the shoreline and the road to rebuild the slope safely and efficiently.

The slope was originally damaged during Storm Desmond, and further repair is essential to ensure that this much‑loved and scenic route around Derwent Water remains safe, resilient and accessible for years to come.

The project will be delivered by Metcalfes Plant Hire.

Works will involve filling holes at the base of the slope using a combination of stone from the shoreline and imported material. This approach will help prevent further erosion and strengthen the embankment beneath the road.

Cllr Denise Rollo, Executive Member for Sustainable, Resilient and Connected Places, said:

"Our priority is always to keep people safe and keep our communities moving. These repairs are essential to protecting this muchloved route around Derwent Water, and I’m pleased that we’re now able to carry out Phase 2 in a way that avoids the disruption a full road closure would have caused.

“Residents and businesses told us clearly that a closure would have had a real impact, and we listened. By working closely with our contractors and looking again at the programme, we’ve been able to find a solution that keeps the work on track while allowing traffic to continue using the B5289. We can’t take this approach on every scheme, but where we can adapt and minimise inconvenience, we absolutely will.

“I want to thank everyone for their patience and for sharing their feedback. It helps us shape a service that truly works for the communities we serve every day.”

For more information, please visit https://www.cumberland.gov.uk/roads or contact the Highways Hotline on 0300 373 3736.

Cumberland Council thanks residents, businesses and road users for their patience and cooperation during these essential works.

 

Image
highway maintenance

Related news