Countryside access and rights of way

Information about open access land for users and landowners.

We are the statutory highway authority and manage public rights of way in partnership with the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District national parks.

Under the Countryside and Rights of Way Act, we also manage open access land giving people a right to walk freely in areas of mountain, moor, common and village greens.

This page is to help people who have public access on their property and to provide information for people using this access.

We have a public rights of way map here.

Why you're going to a different website

As a new council we are in the process of adding information to this website. To give you the information you need some pages will link back to the old council websites.

About the council changes