Do I need planning permission?

See if you need permission for work on your home (including a satellite dish or TV aerial), to make changes to a business premises, to erect outdoor adverts or signs, to change the use of a building or for agricultural development.

Householder development

Some alterations to your home may not require planning permission and could be carried out as a permitted development, if they satisfy certain limits and conditions.

These may include:

  • extensions
  • dormers/roof alterations
  • outbuildings
  • hard surfaces/decking.

Commercial development

Most alterations to business premises do need planning permission, including:

  • most shop and office extensions
  • alterations to shop fronts
  • external security shutters or grilles.

Advertising and signs

Consent to display an advert (or adverts) is required for certain types of advertisement.

Check another post code

Why you're going to a different website

As a new council we are in the process of adding information to this website. To give you the information you need some pages will link back to the old council websites.

About the council changes