Make a claim for Housing Benefit

Who can claim, how to make a claim for Housing Benefit and supporting documentation you need to provide.

Who can claim Housing Benefit

Only the tenant, the tenant's partner or official appointees can claim Housing Benefit. A landlord cannot claim for them.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • you and your partner have reached State Pension age and receive Guarantee Pension Credit
  • you live in temporary accommodation provided by the local authority
  • you live in supported or exempt accommodation

You can use a free online benefits calculator on the Entitled to website

Make a claim

Universal Credit

You should apply for Universal Credit to include your housing costs if you're not:

  • in supported accommodation or exempt accommodation
  • in temporary accommodation provided by a the local authority
  • of state pension age

Claim for Universal Credit