Information you need to provide
We hold registers for Cumberland from 1837 to the present day. You can order a copy of a:
- birth certificate
- death certificate
- marriage or civil partnership certificate
Before you apply
Before you apply please make sure you have the following information:
- your full name, address and daytime telephone number in case we need to contact you regarding the request
- the registration district within Cumberland where the registration took place (Allerdale, Carlisle or Copeland areas all fall within Cumberland)
- the exact date of the registration or for family history purposes a minimum of the year and quarter are essential
- full names of the people involved where possible, otherwise we can not ensure the correct entry will be issued
- If the registration took place in Westmorland and Furness (formerly Barrow, Eden and South Lakeland areas) you need to apply directly from them
- The former area of Cumbria split as above to Cumberland, and Westmorland and Furness in April 2023. If you’re unsure which area the event took place in and therefore where you need to apply please use our handy checking tool.
Ordering marriage certificates
If the request is a marriage certificate then you must provide the exact place name of the register office or the name of the church. This is very important for the location of the entry. We are unable to process certificates that do not include this information.
If your marriage took place after 4 May 2021 in a religious building, we can only provide certificates once the marriage schedule or document has been returned to us to register the event. If we have not received this we will let you know so you may follow this up with the clergy or authorised person.