Gambling licensing and permits

We have a duty to licence premises where gambling is to take place and to licence certain other activities.

We are responsible for licensing premises that offer facilities for gambling. 

These are broken down into six licence types.

They are:

  • casino premises*
  • bingo premises
  • betting premises
  • track betting
  • adult gaming centres
  • family entertainment centres.

In addition, we also register small society lotteries and issue occasional and temporary use notices.

* The Gambling Act 2005 prevented Carlisle City Council from accepting any applications for new casino premises licences. It was not named as an authority that could issue small or large casino premises licences.

Check another post code

Why you're going to a different website

As a new council we are in the process of adding information to this website. To give you the information you need some pages will link back to the old council websites.

About the council changes