Pavement licence

You need a licence to put tables and chairs on the public highway outside your business.

Businesses can apply for a licence to put removable furniture, such as tables and chairs, on footpaths and pavements next to their premises.

They can only be used for the purpose of selling or consuming food and drink in connection with the cafe, bar or restaurant.

Where a pavement licence is granted, clear access on the highway will need to be maintained, taking into account the needs of all users, including disabled people.

Licences can be used until 30 September 2023.

Check another post code

Why you're going to a different website

As a new council we are in the process of adding information to this website. To give you the information you need some pages will link back to the old council websites.

About the council changes