Discretionary Housing Payments

Find out about and see if you are eligible for help with your housing costs.

Extra help with housing costs

Every year, the council has a limited amount of money to help residents who need extra financial help to meet their housing costs. Discretionary payments can help if somebody is having difficulty paying their rent. People who receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit can apply for help.

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is not a benefit payment. The total weekly amount of any award, including your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs, will not normally be more than your actual eligible rent.

DHPs cannot be paid in respect of ineligible service charges (such as water rates, fuel charges, meals) or Council Tax costs.

Check another post code

Why you're going to a different website

As a new council we are in the process of adding information to this website. To give you the information you need some pages will link back to the old council websites.

About the council changes