10p swims for Cumberland children
All schoolchildren aged up to 16 years old from the Cumberland area will be able to go for a swim in a choice of five indoor pools for only 10p over the school summer holidays.
The discounted scheme has been put in place by Cumberland Council, with the support of GLL and Wigton Baths Trust, and is an enhancement of previous summer schemes.
The council scheme will offer discounted swimming opportunities throughout the week, including weekends.
It will be available at the following leisure sites at allocated times during the school summer holidays:
- Cockermouth Leisure Centre: 10am - 11am, Monday to Friday and 11.15am - 12.15pm on weekends.
- Copeland Pool and Fitness Centre (Whitehaven): 9am - 10am, Monday to Friday and 12pm - 1pm on weekends.
- The Sands Centre (Carlisle): 10am - 11am, Monday to Friday and 10am - 11am on weekends.
- Wigton Baths: 11am - 12pm and 5pm - 6pm (Monday), 11.15am - 12.15pm and 5pm - 6pm (Tuesday), 11.30am - 12.30pm and 5pm - 6pm (Wednesday and Thursday), 10am - 11am (Friday) and 10am - 11.30am (Saturday).
- Workington Leisure Centre: 10.30am - 11.30am, Monday to Friday and 10.30am - 11.30am on weekends.
Cllr Anne Quilter, Cumberland Council’s Executive Member for Vibrant and Healthy Places, said:
“We have put health and wellbeing at the heart of everything we do, and we want to encourage the young people of Cumberland to get active. The 10p swims will be available in five locations, at different times throughout the week. It is a great opportunity for children to use our facilities at a discounted rate and will also support families during a cost of living crisis.
“The discounted swims are in addition to our free Holiday Activity and Food Programme which also offers a range of activities over the summer holidays.”
Tom Rice Partnership Manager GLL Cumberland, added:
"As Cumberland Council’s leisure partner, we are delighted to see the 10p swim initiative not only continue but also extended across the whole of the new area.
“Swimming is not only one of the healthiest activities that children can participate in but building and improving on swimming capability and confidence is a valuable life skill.
“We look forward to welcoming local children into our pools over the summer and are hoping for a huge response to this excellent initiative."
The Holiday Activities and Food programme provides children who are in receipt of benefits related Free School Meals up to 16 fully funded days, but paid places may also be available with some providers.
To secure a place, parents and guardians are encouraged to visit our website for further information.