Preparations are underway for public screenings of the King’s Coronation.
The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla will take place on Saturday 6 May, followed by a televised pop concert on Sunday 7 May.
Both events will be shown live in two venues within the Cumberland area - Carlisle’s Victoria Park (part of Bitts Park) and Workington Leisure Centre’s big screen. All events are free to attend, and timings have been extended on both days to coincide with the confirmed Coronation timetable.
As part of the preparations in Carlisle, the Queen Victoria monument in Victoria Park (part of Bitts Park) has undergone six-weeks of restorative work that has included cleaning and polishing the bronze sculpture and relief panels, cleaning and repointing the granite pedestal and steps, and sandstone substructure, plus repainting lettering. Work has now been completed in readiness for this weekend’s events.
The programme for the Carlisle events is:
Carlisle’s events will also include food and drink stalls.
- Saturday 6 May: 9am - 3pm, including the Coronation at 11am.
- Sunday 7 May: From 4pm including the screening of two-family films - Frozen and The Greatest Showman - and the live screening of King’s Coronation Concert. The event is likely to end around 10pm.
If you’re planning to attend the Carlisle event:
- The screen will be located near to the Queen Victoria monument in Bitts Park. The main pedestrian access to the site is via Bitts Park car park or Mayor’s Drive.
- Please bring your own seating.
- Bring along a picnic or buy food and drink from the food and drink concession stalls at the site.
- Tribe Carlisle will be open over both days.
- Please be aware that Bitts Park car park will be closed over the weekend, however there will some provision for some disabled parking. All other car parks will remain open and normal charges will apply.
- In addition to the public toilets in Bitts Park, there will also be additional portaloos.
The arrangements for the Workington screening are:
These will be family friendly events, with no alcohol allowed. Organisers encourage families to bring a picnic to enjoy the screenings as no food concessions will be available on either days. Please bring your own seating.
- Saturday, 6 May: 9am to 3pm, screening of the build up to the Coronation and the actual event.
- Sunday, 7 May: Coronation Concert only between 8pm - 10pm.
For updates on the events, please visit www.cumberland.gov.uk