Correct a registration

How to correct a mistake on a marriage or civil partnership registration, a birth registration or a death registration.


A correction to a registration certificate can only be made when the information is wrong. Any correction will be made in the register held at the office responsible for the area where the registration occurred. 

Mistakes that can be corrected

Minor mistakes, such as the wrong date, location, address or occupation, can usually be corrected at your local register office. 

You can:

Mistakes that are seen to be more than a minor mistake, such as the wrong name, or if there is more than one minor mistake, will be sent to the General Register Office (GRO).

Registrations that took place outside of Cumbria

For any registration that took place outside Cumbria, please contact the register office responsible for that area. To find a register office go to GOV.UK