Correct a registration

How to correct a mistake on a marriage or civil partnership registration, a birth registration or a death registration.

Correct a marriage or civil partnership registration

If there is a mistake on a marriage or civil partnership registration, you can apply to have it changed. 

Apply to correct a marriage or civil partnership registration on GOV.UK

Who can correct a marriage or civil partnership registration

Either person involved in the marriage or civil partnership can apply for a correction. However both people must be aware that the correction is being made. If both people are no longer alive we will not be able to correct the registration.

If the correction is more than 5 years after the marriage registration

Due to a change in legislation from 4 May 2021, if a correction to a marriage entry is requested 5 years after the marriage date, you will automatically be charged the correction fee.

Information you need

You will need to prove that the information provided was wrong at the time of registration. For more information on how to prove the registration was wrong, and the application process, go to correct a marriage or civil partnership on GOV.UK.

Correction fees

There will be a fee to pay for any correction to a registration. Find out more about fees for making a change to a registration.

Where to send completed application forms

Completed applications should be returned to:

Cumberland Registration Service

Lady Gillford’s House

Petteril Bank Road



Telephone: 0300 373 3730



After you apply

When we receive the application for correction we will check if it can be corrected locally or if it requires authorisation from The General Register Office.

If the correction can be made locally, we will contact you to arrange an appointment to attend one of our offices. We will advise what documents you should bring with you to the appointment and the fees that will apply for your correction.

If the application requires approval from The General Register Office, we will call you to explain the next steps and take payment for the correction. We will then send the application on your behalf.

Alternatively, you can contact The General Register Office.