Apply for Council Tax reduction

Find out if you are entitled to a reduction in your bill if you are on a low income.

The Council Tax Reduction Scheme can help those on low incomes by reducing their Council Tax bill.

Council Tax support is calculated by comparing your income against an assessment of your needs/living allowance.

The things we take into account when assessing your needs are:

  • your age
  • whether you are single or a member of a couple
  • and whether you have any children or disabilities.

Who can apply for Council Tax reduction?

To apply for Council Tax reduction, your name must be on the Council Tax bill.

You may qualify if you are:

  • On Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.
  • On Pension Credit, Guaranteed Credit and in some cases Savings Credit.
  • Working and on low pay (including people who are self employed)
  • On a low income. For example, you might only get a retirement pension or be getting social security benefits, like Incapacity Benefit.

Council Tax disabled reduction

If you, or someone living with you, needs a room, an extra bathroom, kitchen, or extra space in your property to meet special requirements arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a disabled reduction. Your bill may be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band shown for your property. If you are already in band A, the lowest valuation band, you may still qualify for a reduction.  

Check another post code

Why you're going to a different website

As a new council we are in the process of adding information to this website. To give you the information you need some pages will link back to the old council websites.

About the council changes